Early settlers, Dick and Mary Power, owned a motel south of downtown Lovington and it served the area for many decades. Mary was the former Mary Eaves whose family had come to what became Lea County in 1909 and Dick arrived in 1914. She was the daughter of Paschal Simeon and Mary Susan Brown Eaves. Dick’s full name was Earnest H. Power. He was the son of Augustus Earnest and Edna Latham Power. Before he and Mary ran the hotel, Dick once owned and operated a cafe named Dick’s Cafe that was located downtown
The address of the motel was 215 E. Avenue B. The grounds had some beautiful elm and pecan trees which were formerly part of the Eaves family’s orchard. The oldest units were 27 rooms built in 1947 and 12 more units were added in 1953. The old motel was demolished many years ago and a City office building now sits on the former site.
Dick passed in 1974 and Mary followed him in death in 1982. Both are buried in Lovington Cemetery.