Prairieview (sometimes spelled Prairie View) is about 15 miles northeast of Lovington (east from the Tatum – Lovington highway and north of Highway 82) and was one of the first settlements on the Llano Estacado. Like other settlements, it appears to have taken its name from the appearance of the surrounding area. At one time, it had its own school and a store, but none of the structures still remain. Prairieview seems to have had a post office from shortly before to shortly after 1910.
For many years, the area held a reunion, particularly of those who had attended the old Prairieview school which was in existence until the late 1940s.