Allen Clinton Heard

A. C. “Daddy” Heard was born in February 23, 1858 in DeWitt County, Texas. His parents were Humphrey Whorley Heard and Louisa Ellenor Foster Heard, and he was one of eight children. When he was an older teenager, he began working cattle for one of his brothers in Texas. He next rode on the cattle trails as a cowboy for about three years before settling for a time in Tom Green County, Texas where he worked for his brother Jasper and Tom Word. He later worked for another rancher near the Pecos and began to build a herd of his own.

Heard came to Southeastern New Mexico in 1894 around which time he became a co-owner with others in a cattle ranch they purchased out of the old Mallet Ranch and renamed the High Lonesome Ranch. He and others had driven cattle from Texas to what was then Eddy County. At the time, the gramma grass was said to be lush and high. Heard improved his stock by bringing in the first registered Hereford bulls to the area in 1910. His brother and former partner Jasper Newton Heard died in Texas the following year in a ranching accident in which his horse fell on him. The supposition was that both horse and rider died after getting tangled in a rope.

Heard continued to operate the High Lonesome until around 1927 when it was sold. Heard had earlier moved his family to Carlsbad around 1900. Over the years he served as mayor of Carlsbad, county commissioner of both Eddy and Lea counties at various times, including being one of the first three county commissioners of Lea County when it was formed around 1917.

Heard was one of the founders of the Presbyterian Church in Lovington. It is also said that he was primarily responsible for seeing to it that a paved road was built from Carlsbad to Lea County. He served as a director of the First National Bank of Carlsbad and was also a State Representative from 1920 to 1924. He was a life member of the New Mexico Cattle Growers’ Association. He and his wife, the former Talovia Elmira Newcomer, had two daughters. Heard was often mentioned in local newspapers for events happening at the ranch and for other activities involving his family. He passed away at the age of 86 on July 6, 1944 in Bernalillo County and is buried there in Albuquerque’s Fairview Memorial Park.