Hobbs’ First Teacher

Mrs. Harold P. Collier, formerly Miss Olive Manning, was hired to teach in Hobbs in 1915. She recounted her early memories in a newspaper article in the Hobbs Daily News back in 1936. The first school building was also completed in 1915, but in stages. Only the basement had been dug by October of that … Continue reading Hobbs’ First Teacher

Power’s Motel in Lovington

Early settlers, Dick and Mary Power, owned a motel south of downtown Lovington and it served the area for many decades. Mary was the former Mary Eaves whose family had come to what became Lea County in 1909 and Dick arrived in 1914. She was the daughter of Paschal Simeon and Mary Susan Brown Eaves. … Continue reading Power’s Motel in Lovington